Wednesday, February 24, 2010

turning points or things we don't talk about

I learned from an early age that no one really wants to hear the truth or have me speak it. For years, I felt like the child in the Emperor's New Clothes trying to tell people that the king was naked and being shushed for my efforts.

I was sexually abused by my mother's sister from age six until I was able to thwart her at around age thirteen. I confided in my mother and sought protection from her. She refused to believe me, and accused me of wanting to destroy our family. The abuse continued. I found it hard to forgive my mother. (A psychiatrist who should have known better.) She died during the summer of 1971; and something in me shifted in such a way that I would no longer accept my role as the slated victim of my aunt's desires. I rose up and found myself and the courage to tell her that she would never touch me again.

My father, whose well being I accepted as my responsibility, was mentally unstable. He became even more so after my mother's death. I was the "hero" in the family. I literally filled my mother's shoes. I cooked, cleaned, and became my father's intellectual companion. Eventually I became his Friday night date, his choice for dinner, drinks, and discussion.

One evening when he came home from work he greeted me with a french kiss. His probing tongue changed everything for me. I knew I couldn't stay there. That I could not make the ultimate sacrifice for my father's happiness. And that if I did continue to live with him, I probably would feel compelled to do so.

For me the trick was to find a way to spare him humiliation, to help him save face and avoid public scandal. I was already attending college at 16. I was bright ( A Who's Who Among American High School Student's) and told him I wanted to live off campus and attend university full time. I pushed to have this happen. This seemed like a plausible excuse. Everyone almost bought it. But we all knew we were naked under our garments: that the truth looked really different. It hung in the air like stagnant smoke.

I get so weary in this life of having to cover everything up, sanitize it , make it clean and acceptable for others. After my father's death (I was barely 21) I tried to speak to his brother about the complexity of my relationship with my dad. When my uncle began to figure out what I was trying to say he also shushed me. "We don't speak ill of the dead." I was corrected and silenced.

Incest, is rarely talked about. I have often worn the coat of incestuous shame, and currently am thankful to be fairly free of it. I want to believe that in telling my naked truth I can be liberated. But more than that, I want to believe that by telling my own truth, I become more whole, more genuine, more myself.

3 comments:

  1. Oprah just had a show on mothers having sexual relationships with their children. She has been the voice of incest. It is good to talk about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a hard topic to talk about. I think this happens more often than not. I've personally experienced my own drama with this and so has a friend of mine. However what I've noticed aside from the personal shame and dissapointment in those who were suppose to protect us. Is this, you can still overcome personal struggle like this and become a good person. Certainly this kind of back ground could make a person go down the path that is harder or make a person realize they can overcome it and make a difference in the world. I've tried to confide in those I trust about this past, but have found major gabs in how people feel about it. To the point where "those" people think that I am unstable some how or damaged. It's this kind of behavior that angers me and also encourages me to educate them about this type of life changing event. I have children and I am very cautious with whom they go with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lisa. This is an extremely courageous post for you to write. That you could take such a tough childhood and move forward from there to become the warm, wonderful (and still bright) person that you are shows an incredible inner strength of character. I am stunned to hear of your past and grateful to you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete